Baffled by a Cable Modem solved

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Jun 18 18:40:25 UTC 2009

On 09-06-18 11:36:02, John Aldrich wrote:
>On Thursday 18 June 2009, dnvot at yahoo.com wrote:
>> My problem is solved, at least for now. My reservation is becauser I
>> don't know what I did. Last night I tried to be sure I had no
>> filters interfering., I turned off the firewall, booted and tried
>> firefox and dillo. Neither worked. I made selinux permissive,
>> rebooted and tried dillo and firefox. Neither worked. I went to bed.
>> This morning I tried Puppy Linux, and it worked fine. So I tried
>> ubuntu, and that worked fine. ( I had failed with both of them
>> yesterday.)  So I booted fedora and firefox -- success. I was
>> baffled in the beginning, and I am more baffled now.  I thank you
>> all for your efforts. I tried ( to the best of my abilities) to
>> implement all the suggestions, but I don't believe I ever really
>> changed anything permanently. I am OK for now, but Who knows; maybe
>> it only works on thursdays.
>
> My guess... your ISP had something messed up and just waiting fixed
> it. :-)  Even if you called them, they probably would have denied
> there was anything wrong. Or, they might have admitted they had an
> outage or something.  You never know. :-)

As others have said, you are probably only allowed one IP address
issued to one MAC address, which timed out overnight, and your attempt
to use a different MAC address worked in the morning.  If you only ever
have one machine connected to a network, you can give them both the
same MAC address, as was already suggested to you.  That won't work f
you wish to use more than one machine on the network (and Internet) at
the same time, in which case you should get a small home NAT box /
Router and configure it to present the expected MAC address (or just
wait overnigth again).