sha256sum

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 19 01:22:34 UTC 2009

On 06/18/2009 08:41 PM, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:24:56 -0400
> terry<xtlynne at charter.net>  wrote:
>
>> Todd
>> I interpret the above as ... sha256sum Fedora-xxx-xxx-CHecksum and
>> the program looks for the iso and calculates the number and checks
>> them with the checksum file for a match or no match? No? If so, this
>> doesn't work. It is the same answer as Steve Searle's and Doc
>> Savage's. I think more detail is needed.
>>

> As it happens, I just downloaded the f11 dvd today and ran a check on
> it.  I used the program shasum with the checksum file for F11 I
> downloaded.
>
> In a directory with both the Fedora iso file and the iso's checksum-file
> present, run the command:
>
> shasum -c checksum-file
>
> This will read the list of checksums in the file, and look for the
> files that generated those checksums in the present directory.  It will
> then run the same check on them that the checksum was generated with in
> the file. It will compare the two checksums and tell you if they are
> the same.
>
> Clear as mud? :-)

Example:

$ sha256sum -c ubuntu-9.04-desktop-sha256sum.txt
ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso: OK

[What is in the file ubuntu-9.04-desktop-sha256sum.txt?]

$ cat ubuntu-9.04-desktop-sha256sum.txt
774f97a21ab3f67d0716bd42db4c0a3747309825e106c6ac83ac8bfe5398c9bd
ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

[ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso is in the same directory as
ubuntu-9.04-desktop-sha256sum.txt]

Bob