Anyone got F11 NIS working?

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 08:42:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 08:44 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > I installed some fedora 11 virtual machines at work today,
> > and tried to configure them to use NIS logins, and the ypbind
> > service always times out when it tries to start.
>  >
> > All the config files I can think of to look at are identical
> > on my F10 vms and F11 vms, but NIS just don't work on F11
> > (for me :-). Anyone installed F11 and gotten NIS to work?
> Sort of ...
>
> Initially, I was facing similar issues as you.
>
> Adding
> domain <mydomain> broadcast
> to /etc/yp.conf finally got NIS going again.
>
> With FC < 11, this had not been required.
>
>  > Both selinux and firewall are disabled on these machines, so
>  > they shouldn't be the source of the problem.
>
> NetworkManager? I haven't systematically tested my setup with NM, but I
> have been observing several NIS breaksdowns related to NM, SELinux and
> gdm interacting.
>
> Ralf

Mine seems OK fully updated F11
No selinux, using network not NM, kdm not gdm

Linux monk 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64 ...

monk ~ 2# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=monk
NETWORKING=yes
NISDOMAIN=jaa.org.uk

monk ~ 3# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Networking Interface
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:30:1B:A0:4D:CC
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=monk

monk ~ 4# cat /etc/sysconfig/ypbind
OTHER_YPBIND_OPTS="-no-dbus"

monk ~ 1# cat /etc/yp.conf
domain jaa.org.uk server 148.197.29.5

Only thing that looks different is that I have the IP address and not
the name in yp.conf

John