Kernel 2.6.30

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 13:10:03 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6.30
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 5:44 AM
> john wendel wrote:

> install
> kernel-2.6.30-6.fc12 keeping

> as a future test-update:
>

> >> To your original question, no. Getting any
> software from koji, rawhide,
> >> or even updates-testing involves a certain risk
> factor. I am not saying
> >> "don't do it," just that you asked if it was safe,
> and the answer is no,
> >> or at least "not really."
> >>
> >> Kernel 2.6.30 has a LOT of new stuff in it, unless
> you have a need for
> >> something new or want to start being a tester, you
> might wait on this
> >> one, or try it in a VM first. VM is addictive, I
> have f{9,10,11,rawhide}
> >> VMs, all four major BSD flavors, and Solaris. Oh,
> and a Win7 beta with
> >> about 20 minutes uptime on it.
> >>

> > Good advice (for the chickens). Until I replaced it
> with F11, I was running 2.6.30 from kernel.org on an F8 box.
> It contains new stuff, but you don't have to use it. It was
> working perfectly.
> >
> Actually there are changes in the common filesystem code as
> well, so you are definitely going through some new code and
> do "have to use it."
>
> > BTW, why would anyone want to build a new kernel and
> use the Fedora configuration file? You can dump a few
> megabytes of useless crap by building a kernel that is
> tailored to your system.
>
> I'm going to assume that question is for the O.P. and pass
> on it. Fedora kernels are not kernel.org kernels, there are
> patches applied, so there is at least some justification for
> starting with a Fedora source. I wish there was a tool to
> scan the hardware installed (or modules loaded) and generate
> a minimal kernel config supporting just what's needed on a
> given system. Like "make localconfig"
>
> -- Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>   "We have more to fear from the bungling of the
> incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>

> -- fedora-list mailing list

FYI,

I am running 2.6.30 without any problems so far.  I just copied the kernel config to a file config and ran the steps to compile the kernel the traditional way.  Fedora takes a little while to release a newer kernel and for instance Fedora 9 is dying, they stuck with a 2.6.27.X kernel.  I have a 2.6.29.X kernel running on it.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.30 #1 SMP Fri Jun 12 20:40:20 CDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

BTW,
If kernel.org releases 2.6.30.1, Are there any delta *.tar.gz's that one can download instead of downloading the full kernel source again to update to 2.6.30.1?  I have been yearning to ask this question, but never had the courage or the determination to do so.  I generally follow Fedora kernels, but sometimes I get eager to run the latest and greatest.  I run rawhide too, but they are at 2.6.30-6.fc12.  Someone told me that there were patches that one could download and recompile to get the latest version, but they don't tell me how and there does not seem to exist documentation as to how to do it.  All of this in case Fedora stays a little bit behind, they are doing the right thing though testing and making sure that the kernels work :), and that the changes upstream do not affect the endusers in a bad way.

Regards,

Antonio