F11: No video -- anaconda or live -- 8800GTX

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:05:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Jake Peavy <djstunks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Jake Peavy <djstunks at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, to no avail (X startup failed)
>>>
>>> I could certainly install in text mode
>>>

>> Anyone have any ideas on this?  Is anyone running F11 on GeForce 8800GTX?
>>
>> The text-based install doesn't install any of the GUI stuff.  I thought I
>> could just reconfigure once I got booted up.
>>

> This post <http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=223212#2>describes my issue exactly.  Dual 8800GTXs seems to be the problem.
>
> Any suggestions other than removing the second 8800 temporarily would be
> welcome.

The problem appears to be that X requires the two video cards to be
identified in xorg.conf with their PCI BusIDs.

Because of the problems I have experienced, originally I was only able to
install in text mode, but, as the guy at fedoraforum mentioned, for some
!&*@&*%$ reason, you don't get to partition the drive when you install in
this mode and it took the whole volume.

So it's been a struggle so far, but I want to repartition.  I could probably
use gparted but I can't remember if it can resize LVM.

Or I could re-install, provided I'm somehow able to provide my own xorg.conf
to Anaconda.

So is that possible?  Can a user supply a custom xorg.conf to Anaconda?

For the record, this has been a real goddamned nuisance and IMHO certainly
not something a so-called "average user" could have taken on.

--
-jp

If I had a mineshaft, I don't think I would just abandon it. There's got to
be a better way.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com