Proper configuration for a bonded bridging a vlan?

Kevin Bowling kevinb at analograils.com
Sat Jun 20 05:11:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

My current network setup is as follow:

eth0--
          |--bond0--br0
eth1--

 From there, KVM/libvirtd set up guest-bridged networks as needed.

I would like to add to this configuration a tagged vlan that will be
used by certain VMs.  I am not sure whether to put the vlan on bond0 or
br0.  Depending on how that is done, will I have to add another bridge
interface?

I tried the simplistic approach by putting the vlan on both bond0 and
br0, and trying to see if the host OS could at least communicate on
vlan5 and worry about the KVM guests later.  However, even this case
does not work.  I've attached my ifcfg-<interface>0.5  file in hopes
that somebody can help me fix this.

VLAN=yes
DEVICE=bond0.5
BOOTPROTO=static