imap mailbox stats?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jun 20 14:31:37 UTC 2009

On 09-06-20 03:39:40, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> The problem is this:I need to calculate what kind of messages are
> using the most space in an IMAP account, now full with 7 gigs of
> stuff.
> In other words, I´m looking for some sort of data-mining an IMAP4
> mailbox on a remote server, based on message size, sender and
> destination address.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Well, not exactly, but you might look at the server and see how the
messages are stored.  If they are in mbox files, they're already stored
as efficiently as possible (unless the mbox'es need purging of deleted
messages), and you won't be able to learn much by inspection.  If,
however, they're in separate files as in MailDir format, `ls -lS |
head` will show the worst offending messages.