Client connect to NFS server as user?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 21 14:51:09 UTC 2009

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 12:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>

>> but the truth is that using automounts such as /etc/auto.home
>> or /auto.misc is even better
>>

> I wanted to use auto mounts before myself, but the one problem I ran
> into, was if the directory wasn't mounted, and I wanted to download a
> file off the internet (via firefox, or even an ftp gui) and onto the nfs
> share, it wouldn't be accessible.  I would have to get access it or
> whatever to get it to mount/appear and then download.  So I use fstab to
> perm mount it.

I'm still trying to mount as user "bobg" without success! 192.168.1.48
is the server, 192.168.1.9 is a client and in the "box9" client I have
the following lines in /etc/fstab:

    192.168.1.48:/home      /home/NFS-files         nfs
    rw,users        0 0
    192.168.1.9:/home       /home/NFS-files         nfs
    rw,users        0 0

I'm not certain both are required but when I su to root everything works
as expected. As user "bobg" I get the following:

    [bobg at box9 ~]$ mount.nfs box48:/home/NFS-files  /mnt/home
    mount.nfs: permission denied: no match for /mnt/home found in /etc/fstab

/mnt/home is the directory on the client where the server files should
appear ... If it works as root it seems it should work as user with the
above lines. Obviously I have missed something.

Help needed, an example of a working line would be great.

Bob