F11 Java Graphics issue - Solved

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 20:44:49 UTC 2009

This was caused by a change in the NVidia video driver as far as I
know, which disabled support for shared memory pixmaps by default.
(This is also the case for EXA/UXA based drivers).

The OpenGL pipeline was never enabled by default, because it causes
frequent problems with bad drivers. In fact it only runs reliable with
the nvidia proprietary driver and even there breaks from release to
release. (The fact that the D3D pipeline works quite flawless on a
broad mix of hw shows how much attention OGL gets these days).

An XRender based Java2D backend is in the works for JAVA7, which won't
be as high performant as the OGL one, but should work on a much
broader field of hardware.

- Clemens