Broadcom BCM43XX Nightmarte on F11

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Jun 23 14:16:24 UTC 2009

I have a couple of laptops I've been working on that I have not been
able to get WiFi to come up on at all.

Both of them have the Broadcom BC43XX series adapters. One of them is a
Gateway MX6030 laptop equipped with a Broadcom BCM4318 adapter and the
other is a Dell Inspiron e1705 with a BCM4311 adapter.

In each case, the default F11 B43 drivers simply don't work at all. I
also have tried the kmod-wl / broadcom-wl drivers from RPM Fusion. No
Dice.

This is really starting to irritate me!!!! It's almost to the point that
I'm ready to rip these adapters out of these machines and replace them
with Intel ones if I can find some that will fit.

What needs to happen to have Broadcom's goofy hardware to behave and
actually work using F11?

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw