Broadcom BCM43XX Nightmarte on F11

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:26:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Christopher A.
Williams<chriswfedora at cawllc.com> wrote:
> I have a couple of laptops I've been working on that I have not been
> able to get WiFi to come up on at all.
>
> Both of them have the Broadcom BC43XX series adapters. One of them is a
> Gateway MX6030 laptop equipped with a Broadcom BCM4318 adapter and the
> other is a Dell Inspiron e1705 with a BCM4311 adapter.

Broadcom has a history of being outright hostile toward the FOSS
software developers...  Check this out...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/new_linux_broadcom_wi_fi_drivers_arrive

If you want top-notch linux support, remove one (1) screw from the
back of the lappy to expose the Wi-Fi card, remove it, and replace it
with one with an atheros chipset. Only $16 + shipping in the US of
A...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mini-PCI-Wireless-card-802.11a%2Fb%2Fg-Atheros-AR5004X_W0QQitemZ180353169089QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090504?IMSfp=TL090504122008r37515

FC