OT: Dual Pentium III, good enough for current 2.6 kernel linux?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jun 23 15:48:51 UTC 2009

> > (Single-core Pentium III, 750MHz, 384MB RAM, Blah video hardware.)
>
> All PIIIs are single cores, AFAIK. Mine is dual in the sense of having

Yes.

> two CPUs, including heatsink. You know, good ole "SMP" before the
> multicore craze started.
>
> Good to know F11 runs OK. I wasn´t even sure it included i586 kernels.

Gnome ought to run ok on it given enough memory. It likes to eat memory
but fortunately many of the other most obvious problems with Gnome's
performance are design problems that make it very sensitive to latency
and to disk seek performance. Disk performance hasn't really changed in
years and the latency problems are going to affect all processors fairly
equally.

In other words on a lower CPU box most of the desktop will simply spend
a bit less CPU time waiting while performing pointless disk I/O and while
waiting for other bits of Gnome to respond. Like driving a fast car in
traffic you don't actually arrive any earlier