Error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 23 20:20:55 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> William M. Quarles wrote:
>> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> FWIW, when I needed to I just added "/usr/local/lib" at the top of
>>> /etc/ld.so.conf, like the various files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/, and
>>> then ran `ldconfig` (no options or paths).
>>>
>> I don't know what "FWIW" means (for what it's worth?), but thanks for
>> the info. However, the error message "dirname: error while loading
>> shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such
>> file or directory" still appears no matter what I try. Also since this
>> error started, I cannot get Gnome-Package-Kit Application
>> (gpk-application) to get past "Waiting for service to start" once I
>> have told it which packages to install.
>>
>> Peace,
>> William
>>
> If you know what binary is issuing the error message you can....
>
> readelf -d <binary> | grep RPATH
>
> to determine the library path of the binary.
>
> I've also found that "ldd -v <binary>" is helpful in tracking down
> problems in that area.

I'm not exactly sure what definition you are using for "binary" in this
case. The binary programs that are issuing the error messages are bash
and dirname. The binary libraries that are mentioned in the error
messages are libc.so.6 and libdl.so.2. Could you be more specific as to
what you mean by "binary" in this case?

Thanks,
William