Warning against preupgrade

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jun 25 22:11:20 UTC 2009

Alan Cox writes:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:07:07 -0700
> Kevin Bowling <kevinb at analograils.com> wrote:
>
>> 2 out of 5 failures.  F10->F11 is completely unusable for any kind of
>> "uncommon" setup, i.e. LDAP login, Linux RAID, Xen DomU.  Anything other
>> than one IDE hard disk with default layout really.
>
> 2 out of 5 ? - I got 3 out of 4 fails including hitting error paths that
> clearly were not tested because the error printing code didn't work but
> spewed python traces - and yes its in bugzilla already.

By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5 failures (so far, I'm 2 out of 2).
Starting with F9, Anaconda reliably failed to install grub for me, on every
one of my machines, despite that they're all different. Some have one IDE
hard drive, others use softraid on top of a pair of SCSI drives. Some are
i386, others x86_64. There is no common denominator that I can see.

So far, now with F11, on the first two machines, Anaconda keeps failing to
install Grub, so I have to do it. I have no reason to believe that the
remaining three won't be any different.