Some issues in F11

Bradley pursley001 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 19:15:07 UTC 2009

On 06/26/2009 09:09 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:45:22 -0500
> Bradley wrote:
>

>> Well, I tried this and it did absolutely nothing.
>>

> The xorg.conf file can say anything it wants, but
> the X server can have its own reasons for
> deciding to ignore it :-).
>
> Sometimes you can dig through the cryptic gibberish
> in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see why the
> server rejects some modes. Possibly something
> like adding vertical and horizontal refresh
> info to the xorg.conf file will convince it that
> it is OK to use a mode it rejected, possibly
> you need to generate a mode line and cram
> it down xorg's throat :-).
>
> There is a program that comes with X these days
> named "cvt" which can generate valid mode lines
> that might work.
>
> Some of my own experiences with different versions
> of X can be found here (though the X server has
> changed a lot, so not everything is relevant
> any longer):
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html
Okay, I made some adjustments and now the real culprit seems to be
showing its ugly head but I am not sure how to deal with it.

Here is the relevant lines from /xorg.conf/:

*Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Polaroid"
ModelName "FLM-2632"
Option "NoDDC"
HorizSync 31.5 - 50.0
VertRefresh 25.0 - 65.0
ModeLine "1366x768" 65.00 1366 1048 1184 1300 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "sis"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1366x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection*

...and here is the response to it in the /Xorg.0.log/:

* (II) SIS(0): Not using mode "1366x768" (illegal horizontal timings)
*
Now, the funny part about it is that I can go into /xvidtune/ and
manually set it to the very same settings and the display goes into the
proper mode just fine (of course /Xorg/ resets it when you log out).
*This means that /Xorg/ is WRONG! *Now, how do I force /Xorg/ to accept
the proposed display setting?

Bradley