git-svn and pull messages

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 27 11:21:44 UTC 2009

Am Freitag, den 26.06.2009, 11:14 -0400 schrieb Todd Zullinger:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > I am currently using git-svn to feed my git based work into a
> > subversion repository.
> >
> > After having done work on my personal branch(es) I pull the commits
> > into the git-svn based repo and finally dcommit. My problem is: I
> > can see only
> >
> > Merge branch 'master' of
> > file:///home/choeger/dev/diplom/private_git/emodelica into HEAD
> >
> > like log messages in the svn log, all commit logs from git are gone.
> > Is there a way to make dcommits messages more verbose?
>
> You have to be sure that you have a flat, linear history in the git
> branch that you dcommit to svn, as svn can't understand git merges.
>
> If you created any merge commits in git that you then dcommited to
> svn, I *think* this is how it looks.

But since both repos have no common origin, I will always see that merge
message, right? So my only chance would be to

a) make them have the same origin (could I rebase my work repo to the
svn repo and have the history still in place?)

b) apply every single change as a patch via git-am

Is that correct?