Are there Fedora people using Thunderbird 3Beta2?

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sat Jun 27 17:36:03 UTC 2009

On 06/27/2009 06:06 AM, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Thunderbird 3 beta 2 is okay but it has a very annoying habit of
> changing the selected font for the text of an email reply or a freshly
> composed email on the fly.

  1) Yes this is most annoying - bug is still there in latest 3.0b3
builds as well (i'm using the nightly builds from mozilla)

  2) Also, tb uses an ancient mbox style local storage format which is
slow and is still buggy. At the moment its 'compact folder' thing is
broken for some local stores (notably imap). By default tb caches most
mail locally for 'offline reading'. The folder gets corrupted and then
things go bad.

  I've had those local files grow to 2 GiB. Delete them and restart tb -
and they've dropped by a factor of over 20.

  They seem to want to keep building on the problem instead of avoiding
it by switching to maildir, which is faster, less error prone and does
not require idiotic 'compact folder' operations.

  This one file for all is used by outlook (the .pst file) and it too
gets corrupted - there are tools to 'repair and recover' .pst files as
well - usually with loss of mail in the process.

  3) Sort by received header is also broken.

  That said - it is by far better than anything else .., kmail is just
bad, evolution had many problems (esp speed of virtual folders which are
very fast in tb) and crashes - but its been a while I may revisit evo
with its latest version.

  gene/