samba shares unmountable by user

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 27 21:13:40 UTC 2009

On Saturday 27 June 2009, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>2009/6/27 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> Here is another example of why I run as root on the main box here,
>> regardless of how much hell you give me about it.
>
><snip>
>
>> [gene at coyote Pictures]$ mount -t cifs /lappy.coyote.den/genesdir
>> ./lappy-samba mount: only root can do that
>
>This is another example of why I use Gnome, regardless of how much
>hell people give me for it.
>
>[sam at samlap ~]$ id
>uid=1000(sam) gid=100(users)
>groups=10(wheel),74(sshd),100(users),498(pulse-rt),501(libvirt)
>[sam at samlap ~]$ gvfs-mount smb://10.0.1.69/Drobo01
>[sam at samlap ~]$ ls .gvfs/drobo01\ on\ 10.0.1.69/
>Applications  DroboApps  Incoming  Movies  Music  Personal  TV
>
>Note that not once did I need root access, yet I did not leave the Command
> Line.
>
>--
>Sam
Ok:
[gene at coyote Pictures]$ id
uid=501(gene) gid=501(gene)

on the lappy, gene is 500:500

[gene at coyote Pictures]$ gvfs-mount smb://lappy.coyote.den/genesdir
Error mounting location: volume doesn't implement mount
[gene at coyote Pictures]$

[gene at coyote Pictures]$ man gvfs-mount
No manual entry for gvfs-mount

Next?

Thanks.

--