Files corrupt on copy

Andy Campbell fedora at starsend.force9.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 09:00:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:18:55 +1000, David Timms wrote:

> On 06/28/2009 04:58 AM, Andy Campbell wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:16:47 -0700, Peter J. Stieber wrote: Hmm always
>> out by 1 ...
> Would it be worth using badblocks to perform the destructive (to your
> data - move / backup first) test on the partition you are having trouble
> with ?
>
> Does smartctl show any internal drive problems ?
>
> Does your testing suggest that the writing or reading or both might be
> introducing the errors ?
> (ie if you copy a file and read it 100x, does it always fail ? and so
> forth)
>
> Might temperature associated with continued access for a large file
> contribute ?
>
> Is it only when copy within the one file system ?
>
> DaveT (the curious).

No errors from smartctl on any of the drives ( 4 internal )

I believe its the write that is the problem ...

 Repeated md5sum always give the same result
 Repeated cmp after a bad copy always give the same results

I don't think it temperature case is not that hot, and can happen on
first test after PC has been off for a while.