Fedora-11 rant

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 29 18:05:36 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:01:25 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

>>> Yes. Install with 'xdriver=vesa' to use the vesa driver.
>> This didn't seem to work for me, with
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/sda7
>> xdriver=vesa in grub.conf .
>>
>> (I was able to use the vesa driver by editing /etc/xorg.conf .)
>
> Was this a live media?
>
> There was a bug preventing xdriver= from working on live media. ;(

Has a new set of Live-CDs been considered? Almost any bug would be minor and
could be fixed post-install, *except* bugs which which prevent install, and on
Live media prevent being used "live" at all. Interestingly I have had some
success using vga= instead, not sure why. Back during 2.5 development I used
video=vesafb:1024x768 on several machines, I no longer remember why that was the
working was to go. Since the machine was a P-II long since sold by the pound,
I'm not really curious, either.

Anyway, I wonder if this bug is big enough to justify a new Live release, since
it will prevent a lot of people from using the media at all. I usually carry one
of these around when I visit places where laptops are sold, just to test
compatibility.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>