Help: F11 anaconda doesn't see my hard drives

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 29 18:59:15 UTC 2009

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> David Timms writes:
>
>> On 06/28/2009 11:10 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> 4) Anaconda sees neither the softraid partitions, nor the actual
>>> underlying /dev/sd? devices at all.
>> When you say softraid, you mean linux software raid, rather than bios
>> raid or hardware raid ?
>
> Yes. Linux softraid.
>
>> Maybe it is related to:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#Kickstart_installations_cannot_reuse_existing_RAID_arrays
>>

> No. I am not doing a kickstart install.
>
> And I succesfully updated two other machines with F10 installed on Linux
> softraid, to F11.
>
> Something in Anaconda is failing to see the second and the third drive
> on a machine with the first drive being an IDE drive, and the 2nd and
> the 3rd drive being SCSI drives. It doesn't see the drives, but I can
> flip over to the ALT-F2 shell, and run mdadm --assemble --scan. mdadm
> ends up creating /dev/md125, /dev/md126, and /dev/md127 (!), rather than
> /dev/md[012], but I can mount them manually and see my existing F10
> partitions.

This sounds as if either the raid or scsi modules are not being loaded. My guess
would be the scsi modules, but if you haven't solved this yet, when you get
started, could you 'lsmod' and see if the scsi stuff is loaded before running
mdadm? mdadm is smart, they might be loaded on demand.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>