Help: F11 anaconda doesn't see my hard drives

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 29 22:37:53 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> David Timms writes:

>>> When you say softraid, you mean linux software raid, rather than bios
>>> raid or hardware raid ?
>>
>> Yes. Linux softraid.
>>
>>> Maybe it is related to:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#Kickstart_installations_cannot_reuse_existing_RAID_arrays
>>>

>> No. I am not doing a kickstart install.
>>
>> And I succesfully updated two other machines with F10 installed on Linux
>> softraid, to F11.
>>
>> Something in Anaconda is failing to see the second and the third drive
>> on a machine with the first drive being an IDE drive, and the 2nd and
>> the 3rd drive being SCSI drives. It doesn't see the drives, but I can
>> flip over to the ALT-F2 shell, and run mdadm --assemble --scan. mdadm
>> ends up creating /dev/md125, /dev/md126, and /dev/md127 (!), rather than
>> /dev/md[012], but I can mount them manually and see my existing F10
>> partitions.
>>
> This sounds as if either the raid or scsi modules are not being loaded. My guess
> would be the scsi modules, but if you haven't solved this yet, when you get

Of course they're getting loaded. As I said: I can run mdadm to assemble the
RAID and mount them. If they weren't getting loaded, mdadm would do bupkis.

I'd be surprised if mdadm, on it's own:

* Surveyed the attached IDE and SCSI hardware

* Mapped them to the supporting kernel module(s)

* Loaded the kernel module(s)

I'd be surprised if mdadm has all that logic built-in. More than likely it
just sweeps all the existing device nodes, looking for RAID partitions it
can assemble together.

> started, could you 'lsmod' and see if the scsi stuff is loaded before running
> mdadm? mdadm is smart, they might be loaded on demand.

Actually, I can run 'fdisk /dev/sdb' and 'fdisk /dev/sdc' before running
mdadm, and read the partition table. Everything is loaded, kernel-wise.

Bug 508554 -- F11 anaconda is seeing the disks, but intentionally ignoring
them, for some reason.