Display all washed out

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:42:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Beartooth<beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

>        Those of you who remember old-fashioned color film cameras will
> remember an occasional badly overexposed pic, in everything looked all
> washed out, or bleached.
>
>        I have an F11 PC that looks like that.
>
>        It's behind a KVM switch with three other PCs, two running F11,
> and one still running F10. All the others look normal, and this one used
> to.
>
>        I've been trying for a couple days to get "yum install system-
> config-display" to go to completion. Once it got as far as starting to
> download, but then hung again.

File retrieval optons:

1) Use browser  --
http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/Packages/
or another of the Fedora mirrors. Public list is at
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/11/.

2) Use wget  --  "wget -c
http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/Packages/system-config-display-1.1.3-2.fc11.noarch.rpm"

     Install using "sudo rpm -ivh system-config-display*.rpm"

3) Download and install directly using one command:
"sudo rpm -ivh http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/Packages/system-config-display-1.1.3-2.fc11.noarch.rpm"

Another note: Don't just settle for a random mirror. Try out the
mirrors listed in the Fedora Public list. Find one that reliably
connects. Put your selection in fedora.repo and fedora-update.repo in
/etc/yum.repos.d/  (disable the mirrorslist, enable and insert the
mirror's url to the baseurl line) or create your own
reliable-mirror.repo file..

>        Why am I not getting that app? Is there some other way to fix the
> washed-out look? It's so bad that most text is very hard to read.

Check the color depth.  You should be able to do this using
System->Preferences->Display in Gnome.