Using gmx.com with evolution

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 1 06:42:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 00:23 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> I've signed up to www.gmx.com's service which provides me with an smtp server
> (my current service is playing up).
>
> The only problem is setting Evolution to play happy with it. I've followed the
> instructions for thunderbird from their forums for smtp, but nothing is
> happening except that I get an error complaining that the email address is not
> from a logged in user.

Have you tried their instructions in their help section:

POP3 and SMTP:
http://help.gmx.com/mail/overview/pop3/thunderbird/?si=7twbf.1lDFgt.1fF3YE.l**

Or, IMAP and SMTP:
http://help.gmx.com/mail/overview/pop3/thunderbird_imap/?si=7twbf.1lDFgt.1fF3YE.l**

I don't use them, but their instructions seem the same as many other
providers.  I don't know what you read about doing in their forums.  But
did it include adding your logon details into your SMTP settings, and in
the manner that the ISP expects?  It would appear to use your email
address as the username, and your mail program should prompt you to type
in a password the first time it tries to use their SMTP server.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.