NM: the usual rant

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 1 14:13:00 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm having problems with NM again.
> I often have to re-boot once or twice before it connects.

It's probably a bug in your network (wireless?) driver rather than NM. What
driver are you using?

> What is error -34?

A kernel error code.

> How can one find out?

There's an enum somewhere in the kernel.

> What is error -19?

Another kernel error code.

> Surely Linux error messages should be intelligible
> by the common user?
> Or are they intended solely for gurus?

They're intended solely for driver developers, there's nothing you can do
about these errors anyway if you're not a kernel driver developer. Just
file a bug against the network driver you're using.

        Kevin Kofler