rythmbox not seeing cdrom

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 15:04:08 UTC 2009

fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>    9. rythmbox not seeing cdrom (Mart?n Marqu?s)
> From: Mart?n Marqu?s <martin.marques at gmail.com>
> Subject: rythmbox not seeing cdrom
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement,	and advice for using
> 	Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> A few weeks ago I started experiencing problems with sound (partially
> solved) and rythmbox not seeing the cdrom when it goes in.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing this rythmbox-cdrom problem? Havn't
> seen any threads on the list with this subject.

Hi Martin,

Yup, I have the same problem with Amarok - it did play one CD for me
last week when I first installed it, but now all it finds is a couple of
clips (that I didn't know I'd made) which it calls my local collection.
(and identifies them as something totally unrelated to the actual music.)
I sent the following mail to the list:
Evening All,

Since my preupgrade from F9 to F10, it seems I cannot see my CD/DVD
players with Dolphin (nor Krusader). Have I killed something else while
trying to get video & sound working with Skype? Or has something else
been moved to a new package & I've missed it??

Thanks all

Dave

PS I won't get started on the "joys" of trying to get sounds working......

uname -ar
Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Wed Feb 11
23:58:12 EST 2009 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Received the following reply from Paul & replied back:

Do you mean you can't see the actual device files (/dev/...) or you
can't play the media? If you can't see the files, check if they still
exist ('ls /dev/...' from the command line). If you can't play the
media, you'll need to say how you used to do it. Dolphin doesn't play
media itself, it uses Kaffeine (or VLC, or dragon, or mplayer, or ...)

poc

Hi POC,

Neither Dolphin nor Krusader would list or show an icon of anything outside "Home" or "Root";
I found autofs had deinstalled during the upgrade so reinstalled that & my external HDD came back.
Rythmbox one time showed the tracklist, but wouldn't play anything, alsomixer wuld show lots of controls & freeze with nearly 100% CPU usage;
Pulsaudio didn't seem to do anything, so (following the comments in the forum) I deleted PA,
but couldn't take out some of the sub utilis of PA without yum wanting to deinstall everything as nmothing was used by anything else.....
 So loaded amarok & music plays automatically but the icons in "places" for the CD/DVD drives are still missing.
The drives show up however in HWLister.  /dev shows entries for cdrom & cdrom1 & cdrw, dvd, dvd1 & dvdrw.

Dave

I've just rechecked /dev, and while I have the entries quoted above for
the block devices, there's no folder entry like there is for disks.

It's a RRPITA because I can't even add the devices to "places" in
Dolphin, so I cannot access data discs......

Dave