Logging from remote sources

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Mar 3 02:58:52 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> This, after removing the appropriate # comments, and restarting rsyslog
>> seems to have worked, however the messages are being intermixed with this
>> machines messages.  They are marked as coming from the 'router', I presume
>> by a gethostbynumber call someplace.
>>
>> This gives a nice trigger if I can figure out how to use it:
>
>I think it's something like:
>:hostname, isequal, "router"
>
>*.*             /var/log/DD_WRT_router.log

I tried that, and it duplicated the host machines log to the target. :)
So I'm now trying:
:msg, contains, "router"		/var/log/dd-wrt/router.log

And the router log isn't showing anything.  messages is now normal.

If I put it on two lines, it fussed on the restart because there was a line
without an action.  Unforch, the attack from a chinese site seems to have
stopped, I sent the abuse address a message about 3 hours ago as the attack
had been going on for several hours at about 1-2 second intervals.

>It may be exactly that, but I haven't tested so I won't say that.
>
>See
>http://www.rsyslog.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=/rsyslog_con
>f.html, http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_conf_filter.html,
>http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-property_replacer.html,
>http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_conf_actions.html, and
>http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/LighttpdVhostErrorlogs
>
>> I would like to put those in their own log.  Is that possible?
>
>Yes.
>
>>> which appears to be what you have to uncomment to receive messages.
>>> Do you want to receive TCP or UDP?
>>
>> Not sure, so I enabled both. :)
>
>That will slow it down, and rsyslog is speed-critical (to ensure you
>don't miss any logs).
>
>>> Try to understand if data is coming to your machine with
>>>
>>> tcpdump -i eth0 -n -n
>>
>> That was very informative, the major portion of the net traffic here is
>> being generated by arp, scanning the local subnet asking whohas, getting
>> to .254 and resuming at 1.  That was so noisy if I saw anything from the
>> router it scrolled offscreen so fast I couldn't read it.
>
>Try:
>
>tcpdump -i eth0 -n -n | grep "\.514"
>
>Or you could grep based on your router's IP.
>
>> That could be
>> turned off because I use host files here for the majority of my stuff.
>
>That's not right.  ARP resolves IPs to MAC addresses.  It doesn't matter
>if you never transmit hostnames across the network.
>
>> AFAIKT from the services config there is no arp daemon running.
>
>Oh, ARP is running.

Is it an absolute requirement?  If not, how to stop it?

>Matt Flaschen

Thanks Matt.

--
Cheers, Gene