NM: the usual rant

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 3 04:48:53 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> I agree that it's great if users look at logs and send them to
>> technicians when appropriate.  My point is just that if they don't
>> understand them, don't want to look them up, and don't want to report
>> the issue to someone who will, then they should just ignore the logs and
>> stop complaining.
>
> You seem to have a bizarre view of Linux.
> To my mind Linux, and in particular Fedora, is about learning,
> not about sending problems to "technicians".

When did I say you shouldn't learn?  Look at the message /you just
quoted/.  I said if you "don't want to look them up" or do anything else
productive, you should stop complaining.  Nowhere did I suggest you take
an apathetic approach, or ignore everything and send it to tech support.
 In fact what I recommend is that you take initiative for your own
system and learn what you can about it.  However, I would not claim that
I can figure out everything without seeking help either.

Matt Flaschen