"No Screen" error when running F10-i686-Live-KDE and Nvidia GEForce 7000M

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 3 05:54:50 UTC 2009

| From: Chad Trotter <chadtrotter at mac.com>

| I am having an issue with running and installing the F10 Live KDE CD. I
| have spent several days reading posts about how to pull the correct
| video driver I need for this work on my wife's ACER Aspire 4520.
|
| I am an absolute n00b when it comes to Linux. This particular CD will
| boot fine on my Thinkpad and I've been able to run Ubuntu and Kubuntu on
| the machine.

When you boot, and you get "No Screen", can you press CTRL-ALT-F2 and get
a console with a shell prompt or login prompt?  (If that doesn't work, you
could try CTRL-ALT-F3 or CTRL-ALT-F4.)

If you do get a shell prompt, it would be interesting to investigate what
the actual problem.  I'd have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  It may well
why the X driver is unhappy.

I admit that decoding the Xorg.0.log is hard to understand.  And it is too
long to post to the mailing list.

- you could add an entry for your problem at bugzilla.redhat.com.  That
  would be the best idea but it is a bit of work.  In fact, you should
  search there first to see if such a problem is already reported.

- you could post your Xorg.0.log to pastebin.ca and post the link in a
  message here

Good luck!