How to re-lock ssh private key?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 00:05:34 UTC 2009

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Robert Nichols wrote, On 03/03/2009 02:29 PM:
>> Todd Zullinger wrote:
[SNIP]
>>> To disable ssh services in gnome-keyring-daemon:
>>>
>>> gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh
>>> false
>>>
>>> Some very thin documentation on gnome-keyring-daemon's ssh handling is
>>> at: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Ssh
>>
>> Again, thanks for the effort, but NO-GO!
>>
>> I tried changing the setting for that boolean to false, both with
>> gconftool-2 and with the GUI gconf-editor, and also by running
>> gconftool-2 as root.  No change, nada, zip!  Log out, log back in,
>> reboot, ..., no change at all.  Unsetting the environment variable
>> for SSH_ASKPASS (edited /etc/profile.d/gnome-ssh-askpass.sh so that
>> the variable never gets set) changes nothing.  The only thing that
>> has an effect is unsetting SSH_AUTH_SOCK, and doing that means that
>> the passphrase is required _every_time_.
>>
>> If SSH_AUTH_SOCK is unset or the socket is not present, ssh-add
>> fails with "Could not open a connection to your authentication agent."
>> Looks like the only options are (a) use gnome-keyring-daemon and
>> accept that the key is unlocked forever, or (b) use nothing and
>> enter the passphrase every time.
>>

> I am not sure where to modify it now days, but IIRC ssh-agent is started
> before your window manager is going in the xinitrc.
> it used to be around line 62 of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common
>
> My guess is the -t needs applied to THAT instance of ssh-agent.

Sorry, but in /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession I find that SSH_AGENT is not used
with Gnome:

     case "$1" in
         failsafe)
             exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"
             ;;
         gnome|gnome-session)
             # lack of SSH_AGENT is intentional, see #441123.  though
             # the whole thing should really happen in xinitrc.d anyway.
             exec -l $SHELL -c gnome-session
             exec /bin/sh -c "exec -l $SHELL -c \"gnome-session\""
             ;;
         kde|kde1|kde2)
             exec $SSH_AGENT /bin/sh -c "exec -l $SHELL -c \"startkde\""
             ;;

                 Do NOT delete it.