mysql vs gene, score 1-0

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 02:32:05 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I was, since there wasn't anything precious in the database, going to
>> remove it and re-install, but the removal would have removed all of kde
>> too. That is not very nice.
>
>Removing and reinstalling is very likely not to fix anything anyway, as
>settings are normally not kept in files which get removed by removing the
>package. At most you might get mysql.conf reset to the default. I wish
>people would stop suggesting "remove and reinstall" as a solution for
>configuration issues.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

It turns out that the mysql web page advise is bogus, I had to scroll down
through the newer comments quite a ways and found another method, and that
worked.  So mysql is up and running.

However, I think removing about 30 assorted kde & qt packages to get rid of
mysql is a pretty long reach.  Needless to say, I canceled that operation.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)