F10: system-config-services - hangs?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Mar 5 15:55:06 UTC 2009

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman writes:
>

>> For some reason or another, I cannot seem to get system-config-services
>> to work.  It chugs along with the greyed-out (inaccessable) list and
>> then
>> simply hangs.  Killing this app leaves a process around unless killed.
>>
>> Works fine with F9, but avoiding certain services that causes hangs
>> but I am not sure what services on F10 would hang this app.
>>
>> Has this worked for anyone else or is there some services I need to
>> be aware of that are known to cause hangs of the system-config-services?
>
> system-config-services works for me. It does take quite a few seconds
> to come up and plow through the list.
>
> When it's hanging, attach strace to it and see what the process is doing.

I did a strace pid attachment, nothing interesting revealed, until I
moved the mouse
around on the GUI and all I got was screen activity data.  Killing SCS
revealed
nothing relevant.  I started SCS under strace and gawd, just too much
data, especially
the polling data, that throws much confusion into the mix.

Seems I will have to do brute-force, one-by-one services removal to see
which one is
the offending service to SCS.

Dan