Not Remembering Root Password

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 6 18:27:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 09:05 -0700, Steve Lindemann wrote:
> I /knew/ I was in the /tmp dir I only missed by .. - thankfully we had
> good backups!

It's easy to do.  Get your wildcarding wrong, and it's not just the
files in the current directory that you end up working on.

It nearly always takes me a few moments of thought to work out how I
want do something to the dot-prefixed files in a directory, and I test
with "ls" before using other more dangerous commands.

That's one area where I really like using GUI tools.  No user goofs from
making bad wildcard choices, simply click on the files and directories
that you want to do something to.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686