F10 oddities

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 7 05:31:09 UTC 2009

Greetings;

This F10 upgrade is beginning to stabilize, so I thought I'd restart amanda
tonight by going to her home dir, becoming amanda, and installing the latest
bleeding edge of 2.6.2alpha-0227.

But when I did an 'ls' (as amanda) to get the file listing preparatory to
calling tar xzf on the latest tarball, I was greeted by a no permission
response.  This user directory was not touched all this time that I'm aware
of, so it should have still been 100% owned by amanda:disk.  But there were
files owned by root that were not the parent tarballs, and some files were
even owned by me, gene!  Most obvious was the stuff linked to in /var/tmp and
in /tmp, so in addition to doing a chown -R as root to everything, I had to go
fiddle with subdir ownerships in both /tmp and /var/tmp, stuff whose names
were kde related.  But I have never ran kde as amanda!

Anyway, it is now sorted and amanda should try to back the whole maryann up
tonight since enough time has elapsed and everything is now stale.  With a 1TB
drive and about 90GB of data, it should be done by the time I get up in the
morning.  IF there are no more surprises that is.  That dull knocking sound?
Yeah...

Anybody got a clue for sale about how those perms may have gotten fubared?  It
appears I'm fresh out.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene