pidgin problem after installing the most recent f10 updates

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Mar 10 09:56:40 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:

>> Hi Hiisi,
>>
>> after downloading the pidgin-2.5.5 source from sourceforge.net and
> after
>> installing a lot of devel packages:
>>
>> meanwhile-devel
>> gtkspell-devel
>> gstreamer-devel
>> NetworkManager-devel
>> tcl-devel
>> tk-devel
>>
>> I was able to build with "./configure --disable-avahi" (weird: the
>> avahi-devel pkg was already installed).
>>
>> Compiling and installing was successful, and after I had re-enabled my
>> account, pidgin-2.5.5 now runs successfully.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Joachim Backes

> There's no pidgin rpm for Fedora on sourceforge.net.

Right, but a source package, and why not install from scratch if this
solves my problem?

And don't you dare
> to say you installed it from source?

No. I have no problem with installation software by source, and I think
this is a recommended way if a binary package is not available!

  I don't want to be scare, but
> you're in a real world of trouble from now. It's not a recommended way
> of installing software, you know.

No, I don't know, and I cannot agree with you.

Why not install open source software by source (I must repeat myself).

--

Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>