Unable to read firewire id with gtkpod, fedora 7

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 12 00:21:35 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I'm confused. I thought Apple ditched Firewire for iPods several
> years ago and everything was now USB. My very first iPod had FW (I
> even bought a FW card for my machine) but the later ones don't.

The FirewireGUID is just a name used for the serial number stored on
the iPod and which is used to generate a hash of the iTunesDB that is
written to the device.  Without the FirewireGUID, apps like gtkpod
can't write an iTunesDB that the iPod will play.  So it really has
nothing to do with the type of connection used.  (It's Apple, is it
supposed to make sense? :)

Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.
    -- Charles McCabe