f10 annoying bugs/enhancements: chooser

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:05:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:27:40AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Sharpe, Sam J:
> >> Add or edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and add this section:
> >>
> >> [greeter]
> >> Browser=false
> >>
> >> Then restart gdm...
>
> fred smith:
> > This doesn't seem to work in F10. I remember seeing other posts on it,
> > and the consensus was th at a lot of the configurability has been disabled,
> > including the ability to control the font size (which on my eeepc is HUGE
> > on the small screen).
> >
> > Allegedly, replacing it with the one from F9 solves the proglem, though
> > I haven't tried that.
>
> Well, I'm using Fedora 9, and nothing that I've tried stops that damn
> user list appearing on GDM.  Neither does anything stop the inclusion of
> names I want excluded.  I've even tried changing the background image,
> and it ignores that instruction, too.
>
> I've got no kind words for the thing.  It's not configurable.  It's slow
> to fire up, *much* slower than the GDM logon screen on Fedora 7.  Every
> log on requires cursoring through the list, or typing the name, since it
> NEVER starts with reselecting the same name that logged in previously,
> nor does the list appear to be in any detectable sorting order (user ID,
> user name, real name, nothing).
>
> I tried using XDM, instead, but it doesn't start something that Gnome
> needs to run.  I don't want *anything* to do with KDE on my system, so
> KDM's not getting a look in.
>
> Just a straight type in username and password box, as it used to be,
> would suit me.

This should work fine:

$ su -               # enter root password at prompt
$ GCONFSYS=$(gconftool-2 --get-default-source)
$ gconftool-2 --config-source=$GCONFSYS --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list \
  --type bool true

Just tried it on my F10 box and it works like a charm.  You can't get
rid of the "Other..." selection AFAICT, but all the other faces
disappear as expected.  If you want the faces back, use "false."

The gconf-editor doesn't yet support editing alternate configuration
choices like this yet, but perhaps a knowledgeable person on this list
could help with that.