f10 annoying bugs/enhancements: chooser

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 00:24:18 UTC 2009

2009/3/12 fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:37:15PM +0000, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:

>> > Doesn't change a thing, on Fedora 9.  And I have rebooted.  I've tried
>> > something like that before, too (as posted on this list a week or so
>> > ago), with the same lack of success.
>> >
>> > I should make it clear that I'm not trying to hide face pictures in the
>> > chooser, I don't want any list of names.
>>
>> I have a feeling that Paul's solution won't work because GDM in Fedora
>> 9 (unless it's changed massively since I upgraded) isn't configured in
>> GConf. You will probably find that my /etc/gdm/custom.conf solution
>> works, because when I wrote that customisation in our organisational
>> installer, that is what I was using.
>
> Changing /etc/gdm/custom.conf doesn't work on F10, for sure. All it
> contained before I edited it was empty sections xdcmp, chooser, security,
> and debug. I added:
>
> [greeter]
> browser=false

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that all lower-case or does it
actually say Browser (I have no idea if that matters - mine is
capitalised)?

I've checked our config Repo, and we have:

f10:
echo "INFO: fix-config-files.sh: Disable GDM user list"
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

(that's roughly what Paul posted)

f9:
Our installer attempts to configure consolehelper access to gdmsetup,
which implies you still have the gdmsetup program - have you tried
using it to configure the list?

I'm wondering now why my system displays just me and "Other..." - I'm
going to do some playing tomorrow (on someone else's machine) and see
what the difference is ;o) One of my colleagues just mentioned a
feeling that GDM had been patched to automatically disable the user
list if you have a lot of users, but I haven't checked if that's
actually the case - can anyone confirm or deny?

--
Sam