Shell confusion

Dave Bolt IT Solutions dave at davebolt.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 15:14:20 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:25:27AM -0000, Dave Bolt IT Solutions wrote:
>> Since both of these users are apparently configured for bash, can anyone
>> explain what is happening?
>
> The sentence "configured for bash" is a nonsense statement.  You have used
> su to switch to a user that does not have access to the currently running
> display, hence the error.
>
> All perfectly normal.
>
> --
> Marc Wilson |     Love your enemies: they'll go crazy trying to figure
> msw at cox.net |     out what you're up to.
Like the 'Love your enemies..' comment. :)
So what I mean is that when I look at the user in
System ->Administration->Users and Groups, I see that both dave and
amandabackup have /bin/bas as the login shell, in other words configured to
use bash.
Anything more complicated regarding configuration is beyond my current
knowledge, so your clarification is welcomed.
Regards
Dave