Shared /boot partition?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Mar 14 15:52:25 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen writes:

> I have to set up a machine to boot both 32 and 64 bit Fedora (or RHEL if I wish)
> and while I know how to do it with separate partitions and copy information from
> one grub.conf to the other so I can choose at boot time, I was wondering if I
> could share a /boot partition between 32 and 64 bit installs.
>
> It would make life a *lot* easier if I could.

Although I see no reason why this can't be done, you're going to confuse yum
when you use it to install updated kernels. It'll find entries in grub.conf
that reference kernels for the other system. This will probably confuse the
code that automatically uninstalls older code.

Setting this issue aside, install the first system without a separate boot
partition, so /boot lives on its root. Now, install the second system, with
a separate /boot partition. Temporary mount the first system's root
partition, and copy over the contents of it's boot to the separate boot
partition, and update it's grub.conf accordingly.

Boot back into the first system, remove it's /boot, and mount the new /boot
partition in it's place, and update it's fstab.