LAN addresses in IPv6

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Mar 15 00:56:24 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

>> Thanks, I am looking into radvd .
>> Unfortunately, its exact purpose is not clear to me.
>> Is it an essential part of an IPv6 system?
>>
>>> this site is helpful:
>>> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html
>>
>> I had looked at this.
>> Unfortunately it fell into the category of documents
>> intended for somebody very different to myself,
>> possibly belonging to a different species.
>>
>> Eg there is some discussion of radvd.conf ,
>> but it never said that one should install the radvd package.
>> (It seems to be assumed that everyone knows that radvd is.)
>>
>> Also I have no idea what to substitute for Y...Y in
>> 	prefix YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:0000::/64
>> 		# advertise net 0 of 65536
>
> Feel free to send questions and criticisms to the address at the bottom
> of the page. ;-)

Thanks for your comment.
Apologies for my slightly rude remarks about your document.
I shall read it again with more diligence.

But I have more or less decided to put IPv6 on the long finger.
I'm actually running Centos-5.2 on my server, with shorewall,
and it seems that shorewall6 is unlikely to be supported
until Centos-6 comes out.

I don't want to run iptables directly, as I am not confident
that I would get it right;
and I don't know of any alternative to shorewall
which is available under Centos and which supports IPv6.

> The YYYY part of the address in the radvd.conf is the address for the
> net-block that your upstream ipv6-capable ISP (or ipv6 tunnel broker)
> assigned to you.

OK, I'll try putting that in.
At present radvd fails, with the error message:
helen radvd[4958]: IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled, exiting

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net