LAN addresses in IPv6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Mar 15 02:05:45 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>

>>> Thanks, I am looking into radvd .
>>> Unfortunately, its exact purpose is not clear to me.
>>> Is it an essential part of an IPv6 system?

>>> I had looked at this.
>>> Unfortunately it fell into the category of documents
>>> intended for somebody very different to myself,
>>> possibly belonging to a different species.
>>>
>>> Eg there is some discussion of radvd.conf ,
>>> but it never said that one should install the radvd package.
>>> (It seems to be assumed that everyone knows that radvd is.)
>>>
>>> Also I have no idea what to substitute for Y...Y in
>>> 	prefix YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:0000::/64
>>> 		# advertise net 0 of 65536
>>>
>> Feel free to send questions and criticisms to the address at the bottom
>> of the page. ;-)
>>

> Thanks for your comment.
> Apologies for my slightly rude remarks about your document.
> I shall read it again with more diligence.
>
> But I have more or less decided to put IPv6 on the long finger.
> I'm actually running Centos-5.2 on my server, with shorewall,
> and it seems that shorewall6 is unlikely to be supported
> until Centos-6 comes out.

I should point out that Centos 6 may not come out until 10Q4! So you are
putting a long wait.

> I don't want to run iptables directly, as I am not confident
> that I would get it right;
> and I don't know of any alternative to shorewall
> which is available under Centos and which supports IPv6.

After I finish with my current FC9 project that includes shorewall6, I
will take a look at 6wall for Centos 5.

>> The YYYY part of the address in the radvd.conf is the address for the
>> net-block that your upstream ipv6-capable ISP (or ipv6 tunnel broker)
>> assigned to you.
>>

> OK, I'll try putting that in.
> At present radvd fails, with the error message:
> helen radvd[4958]: IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled, exiting
This is set in /etc/sysconfig/network.

See /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.19.EL/sysconfig.txt for more
information.