MPEG-1 read support

Dave Bolt IT Solutions dave at davebolt.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 15:06:07 UTC 2009

Well, I don't know about wikipedia articles, some are good but others are
not so good.
Personally, I look on the Applications menu in Fedora, under Sound and Video
on Fedora 10, for something that looks like a movie player. If it's not
there, I take a look at the available packages in
System->Administration->Add/Remove Software for various things.
Interestingly, on my current setup a search for movie does not find "Movie
player for GNOME", but a search for totem does, so try various searches.
Having got a movie player installed, try it with the file you want to play
and see what happens.
In my case, using Totem, a popup informed me that support for mpeg-1 and
mpeg-2 was required and asked if I wanted to search. I did, and two
gstreamer related packages were found and installed. Package-kit found a
number of other updates which I also installed, and I had to restart Totem
before it recognised that the support was now installed, but I'm looking at
my home movies from about 5 years back.
Regards
Dave