Audacity, F9, and sound systems

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 17 00:35:53 UTC 2009

I want to start ripping my LP's, so I installed audacity on my Fedora 9
box that I already use for MythTV. When I fire up audacity, it offers a
number of choices for the input sound and playback sound. Most of those
choices seem to revolve around ALSA. The only ones that seem to work are
OSS. OK, I'll use what works. However, once I have run audacity once and
exited, the next time I get into it, there are only ALSA choices
available for playback. OSS is no longer available in the drop down and
none of the ALSA choices give me sound. Anyone have any idea of what is
going on here?

 From what I have read, I thought OSS was being deprecated in favour of
ALSA. And then I thought the new pulse audio system in F9 and F10 was
supposed to supplant ALSA. I am guessing I lack a basic understanding of
how the audio systems work on Fedora 9 and how to configure and control
them. Can someone explain this, or even better, point to a document that
does.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson