The FC10 ext2 experiment has ended -- don't try this

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Mar 17 17:27:05 UTC 2009

This is on an ASUS Eee PC netbook with 512Mb memory and a 4Gb SSD and a
8Gb SD card for more disk capacity (4Gb is simply not enough to even
install FC10).

Only /home was on an ext3 partition.  /boot, /, and /var were all ext2
partitions.

And things had been running well for a month or so. Regularly on cold
boot, it would do an auto check on one of the ext2 partitions and
reboot.  Looked good....

Last night I suspended the box while plugged into AC; this worked well
and it came right out of suspension this morning (on battery I use
hibernate to save the battery).  I then did a yum update.

The yum update was taking some time and the screensaver kicked in. For
some reason this triggered the box to go into suspension (it never went
into hibernation when I hibernated then yum update).  I 'knew' bad
things were going to happen to suspend right in the middle of a yum
update...

Sure enough, inodes broken all over the place.  Could NOT recover.
Fortunately, there was nothing lost other than time.

I am rebuilding the system right now.  I am keeping the partitions as I
had them, but they will all be ext3 and I will change fstab for noatime...