DISK ERROR??

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 23:52:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:36:02 +1100
L <yuanlux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a small network attached storage (NAS) linux.  when it
> boots up, there is a bit error from kernel message:
>
> <3>ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x58/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/47/00
> <4>ata1: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> <4>ata1: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
> <3>ata2: translated ATA stat/err 0x58/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/47/00
> <4>ata2: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> <4>ata2: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> Is this disk error, a serious problem or can be ignored? if it is
> serious, this device is under warranty, I can contact manufacturer.

50/04 is a command being issued to the drive which it then decides it
doesn't understand the meaning of. That should never happen and might
indicate either a bug in the kernel handling of commands or a device that
claims things it cannot do. Shouldn't be a worry but hdparm information
for the device would be helpful.

> Besides this error message, the system seems working. How to check
> heath of disks?

smartutils does this, however this doesn't look remotely like that sort
of problem.

Please send me the output of hdparm -I for that device.

Alan