BOINC

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 14:56:10 UTC 2009

Guys, I've discovered that, for some strange reason, you *must* have
elevated privileges to run / configure BOINC when it's installed via the F10
repositories.

I've been trying to get BOINC configured to connect to my accounts ever
since I installed the X86_64 version of Fedora 10 several months ago. Today
I got a crazy idea and tried running the boincmgr binary as a superuser and
to my surprise I was able to connect to the client and configure it,
something that I have been trying off and on for the past several months to
do without success.

Since I never had to run it as a superuser when I installed from the
tarball off the Boinc.berkeley.edu server, I suspect this is a RedHat/Fedora
issue. Can someone explain the rationale behind requiring admin privileges
to configure BOINC?

I managed to work around it by "chmod +s" all the Boinc binaries, but I
shouldn't have to do that!