How to re-lock ssh private key?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Mar 20 23:37:51 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> I thought I'd posted the details earlier -- if not here they are.  F10
> 64-bit x86 install with daily yum updates.  Anything else you need to
> convince yourself this is a problem?

I'm curious.  I have the same setup (64bit F10), and I don't see the
same problem.

If I unlock my key, I can ssh to hosts where it is installed without any
prompts, as expected.  If I do "ssh-add -D", it prints "All identities
removed".  Afterward, I'm prompted for my ssh key passphrase.  If I
cancel the dialog, ssh will ask for my password.

I can imagine a couple of things that might cause the problem that
you're seeing, if you have time to do a couple of tests.  First, do
"ssh-add -D" and then "ssh-add -l".  Send the output of the latter
command.  Also, the output of "set | grep SSH".  Then ssh to a host
where your key is installed with "ssh -v" and include the output of that
command as well.  Hopefully one of those three commands will illuminate
what's going on.

Thanks, Wolfgang.