fedora LTS , why not?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 21:07:09 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 3/21/09, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> From: Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> Subject: Re: fedora LTS , why not?
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 1:54 PM
> Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> > For this example: I mean that some ubuntu multimedia
> software ask you
> > installing codecs when needed!! And they install the
> appropriate one. This
> > unfortunatly does not exist in Fedora
>
> Unfortunately, pointing you to codecs which are illegal in
> the US is also
> illegal in the US. Ubuntu gets away with it because
> Canonical is based in
> the Isle of Man, not in the US.
>
>         Kevin Kofler
>
> --

I can understand the LTS support complaints, but CentOS, Scientific and others address this, but as far as the codecs part.  There is a CD out there with everything prepackaged and Fedora based:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-announce/2008-12/msg00007.html

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/10/omega-10-live-cd-beta-fedora-with-added.html

It is installable and has the packages(which are easily installed otherwise by the way) that the users in this thread are asking for.  I wonder sometimes if people know about this, it seems that they don't know about it.  I hope that the work of several people who have taken the time to work on such projects get the notice that they deserver :)

Regards,

Antonio