why is gdm ignoring dpms

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Mar 22 15:11:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:59:35 +0100
François Patte wrote:

> But gdm refuses to apply this. Why.

All that stuff is controlled by the gnome-settings-daemon started
by user "gdm" who is the user running the gdm login screen.
Somehow (not at all sure how) you need to influence the
settings for user gdm.

I was able to set the screen DPI this way by copying my own
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/font_rendering directory (after I set
my own DPI) to ~gdm/.gconf/desktop/gnome then chowning
everything I copied to gdm:gdm. Perhaps the power manager
settings are down in the ~/.gconf directory somewhere as well
and a similar technique might work?